Monday 10 November 2014

Let's start feeling comfortable!!

During the last years, serotypes have been widely spread by the mass media, resulting in many people not feeling comfortable with their bodies anymore. In general, we find TV shows in which beautiful (which means being very very slim and young) women and men appear. Due to this, many people are becoming less comfortable with their bodies (and I am one of those, I must admit). Every day, when we look at ourselves in the mirror, we generally tend to point out our “defects”, those parts of our bodies that we would like to change because they make us feel bad with ourselves. However, there are people who still believe that being beautiful is not related to what we look like, but to how we feel with our own image.

Jubilee Project is a group of people who started a campaign in order to raise awareness about the importance of accepting and respecting ourselves. They recorded 50 people (children and adults), and asked them only one question: “If you could change one thing about your body, what would it be?”


What amazes me the most about the people’s answers is that when adults are asked what they would change in their bodies, they answer almost instantly. All of them point out the parts of their bodies which they do not like at all. Some of them just say what they would change, while others explain that they have been laughed at because of their physical appearance. On the other hand, when the same question is asked to the group of children, instead of making reference to the parts of their bodies they do not like, they say that they would like to have a mermaid tail, or shark teeth, or wings, among other answers. Evidently, when talking about physical appearance, adults and children have different points of view.  

After having watched the video, I started thinking about the fact that our speech is full of stereotypes. Whenever we talk about others we call them as “la gorda”, “el petizo”, “el narigón”, etc. We are all the time making references to others’ physical appearance, as if our body is what determines us and what makes us what we are. Sadly, we do this without thinking how our comments can negatively affect children’s perspectives and opinions. 

When I heard the answers of those children I became aware of how pure human beings are at childhood. It seems that growing up is closely connected to filling our minds of judgements and prejudices. I do not understand why we do that.

We have to struggle every day in order to get rid of the discriminatory speeches we (sometimes unconsciously) spread. Leading by example is the best way to instil respect and acceptance in our children. Besides, we should consider that, even though we believe that children have a lot of things to learn from adults, they also have a lot to teach us. 

I would like to end this post with this nice quote:




- Confortable: 50 people 1 question (video file). Retrieved from: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0tEcxLDDd4#t=196 

2 comments:

  1. Stereotypes are dangerous weapons that harm people at different levels. Not only are people rejected from jobs because of their physical appearance, but they are also discriminated at school and even in the streets. We as society should get on with and instill the idea that success is not related to stereotypes and beauty but it is related to personal commitment and capacity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My name is Leah Brown, I'm a happy woman today? I told myself that any loan lender that could change my life and that of my family after having been scammed separately by these online loan lenders, I will refer to anyone who is looking for loan for them. It gave me and my family happiness, although at first I had a hard time trusting him because of my experiences with past loan lenders, I needed a loan of $300,000.00 to start my life everywhere as single mother with 2 children, I met this honest and God fearing online loan lender Gain Credit Loan who helped me with a $300,000.00 loan, working with a loan company Good reputation. If you are in need of a loan and you are 100% sure of paying the loan please contact (gaincreditloan1@gmail.com) You can also whatsApp them at: at +44-75967-81743 (WhatsApp Only) .. and inform them Leah Brown addressed to you ..

    ReplyDelete